One Day Winter Skills Courses
An opportunity to spend a day on Helvellyn with a Lake District National Park Authority Fell Top Assessor as they climb to the summit of the mountain to take snow and weather readings for Lake District Weatherline Service. For each event our Fell Top Assessor will guide you on a route up the mountain, chosen according to snow and weather conditions and the ability of the group members, teaching you the basic skills of snowcraft needed for safe winter walking in the fells and mountains of the UK.
The day promises to be strenuous, informative, challenging, but also a lot of fun!
- Upto 6 participants on a group course
- £100 per adult
- Select dates available
- A private masterclass with the Fell Top Assessor
- 1:1 - £250 just you and the Fell Top Assessor
- 2:1 - £325 you and one guest and the Fell Top Assessor
- Select dates available
About the courses
A Lake District taster day for anyone who wants to learn the basics of how to use an ice axe and crampons for winter walking. A Lake District Fell Top Assessor will guide you through the basic techniques required for safe winter walking in the fells.
- Start point: 08.30am in Glenridding.
- Postcode: CA11 0PD
- Grid ref: NY385169
- Length: 10-15 km
- Duration: 8-9 hours
- Total ascent: 900 m
- Highest point: 950 m
- Grade: Strenuous
- A good level of fitness is required.
- Adults only. Not open to those under 18 years of age.
Available to hire
- Winter walking boots - £15 per day
- Crampons - £12.50 per day
- Ice axe - £12.50 per day
Winter Skills Gift Vouchers
Gift vouchers for our group courses and private masterclasses are now available. Perfect presents for those looking for a true Lake District adventure!
We can provide all the technical gear for the day, but you are expected to have your own personal clothing and equipment. You will need*:
- Full waterproofs (including trousers and gaiters)
- Warm layers including a spare fleece/down jacket
- Woolly hat and gloves, ski goggles, head torch and spare batteries
- Rucksack (at least 30L)
- Winter walking boots (must be rated B1 or B2 to take crampons - see our list of compatible boots) can be hired when booking at £15 per day
- Packed lunch including a hot drink and spare snacks
- You will also need an ice axe and crampons (rated at least C1 – not ‘spikes’) can be hired when booking for £12.50 per day
*The instructor reserves the right to refuse to take anyone on the day who does not have the correct personal clothing and boots. No jeans please, and avoid cotton baselayers.
You must also be able to agree to the following conditions:
- I am currently fit and well.
- I have read the list of relevant medical conditions listed below* and none of them applies to me.
- I have not had to take any long term medication prescribed by a doctor in the last 12 months
- In addition I am not currently under the care of my own doctor or hospital for investigation into any medical condition or symptoms.
- I have no undue problems taking exercise such as strenuous walking, running for a bus, swimming, lifting day to day objects or jumping from a 3ft wall.
- I haven’t within the last 3 months had surgery or a serious injury, including a fracture.
* Relevant medical conditions list:
- A heart attack within the last 6 months
- Angina/chest pain
- High blood pressure that is not well controlled with medication
- Joint problems such or arthritis in any joint, or back or neck, that stops you exercising due to pain
- Asthma which is brought on by exercise and not well controlled with medication
If you have any questions about these conditions and whether they apply to you please do get in touch by emailing email@example.com .
The courses are run by our Fell Top Assessors who summit Helvellyn daily through the winter months so they know the winter conditions out on the fells as well as anyone.
The winter skills course run from December through to April.
In the event that there is a lack of snow or snow conditions are deteriorating, a course will continue with a mountaineering day. The day will provide the opportunity to experience a day in the mountains with our highly skilled and qualified Fell Top Assessor(s).
In the event of adverse weather our Fell Top Assessor(s) will make a decision on the day as to whether the event will proceed or an alternative be offered. Their decision is final.
There must be a minimum of 3 participants / maximum of 6 for the group courses to run. All courses must be booked in advance.
Disclaimer: Winter hill walking is a potentially hazardous activity. Although all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the safety of people participating in the events listed, individuals do so at their own risk. Your instructor reserves the right to refuse to guide anyone who does not have appropriate clothing and footwear. Please phone prior to booking if there are any disabilities which could affect the logistics of the course.
Please read our full terms and conditions before booking
Boots compatible with crampons
- Serai GTX
- Tengu GTX
- Montagnard GTX
- Yatumine GTX
- Terrealte GTX
- Arwa Bi Flex
- Mountain Guide Pro GTX
- Pinnacle GTX
- Tower LX GTX
- Badile Combi GTX
- G2 SM
- Nepal Cube
- Nepal Extreme
- Trango Ice Cube
- Trango S Evo
- Trango Tower GTX
- Mamook GTX
- Magic Guide High GTX
- Magic High GTX
Meindl (German Rating C & D)
- Jorasse GTX
- Jorasse Lady GTX
- Super Perfect
- Verte GTX
- Glockner MFS
- GroBvenediger MFS
- Charpoua GTX Alpine
- Manta Pro GTX
- Mont Blanc Pro GTX
- Phantom Tech
- R-Evo Pro GTX
- Rebel Lite GTX
- SL Active
- Dufur Evo GTX RR
- Expert Pro GTX RR
- Mountain Pro Evo GTX RR