One Day Winter Skills Courses
The winter skills day course, based in the Lake District National Park, are taster day for anyone who wants to learn the basics of how to use an ice axe and crampons for winter walking. A Lake District Fell Top Assessor will guide you through the basic techniques required for safe winter walking in the fells. Courses run from December through to April, check out the dates and book now here.
About the course
The winter skills day course is an opportunity to spend a day on Helvellyn with a Lake District National Park Authority Fell Top Assessor as they climb to the summit of the mountain to take snow and weather readings for Lake District Weatherline Service. For each course our Fell Top Assessor will guide you on a different route on the mountain, chosen according to snow and weather conditions and the ability of the group members, and will teach you the basic skills of snowcraft you need for safe winter walking in the fells and mountains of the UK. The day promises to be strenuous, informative, challenging, but also a lot of fun. Sounds good? Book now
- Start point: 08.30am in Glenridding
- Postcode: / grid ref: CA11 0PD / NY385169
- Price: £90 adults only
- Length: 10-15km
- Duration: 8-9 hours
- Total ascent: 900m
- Highest point: 950m
- Grade: Strenuous
- A good level of fitness is required.
The winter skills course run from December through to April, various days. Check out the calendar here.
The courses are run by our Fell Top Assessors who summit Helvellyn daily through the winter months so they know the winter conditions out on the fells as well as anyone. Book now.
We provide all the technical gear for the day, but you are expected to have your own personal clothing and equipment. You will need*:
- Full waterproofs (including trousers and gaitors)
- Warm layers including a spare fleece/down jacket
- Woolly hat and gloves, ski goggles, head torch and spare batteries
- Rucksack (at least 30L), and winter walking boots (must be rated B1 or B2 to take crampons)
- Packed lunch including a hot drink and spare snacks
- You will also need an ice axe and crampons (rated at least C1 – not ‘spikes’) – you can hire from one of our Fell Top Assessors but there is limited stock of ice axes and crampons for hire. These cost £10 for an axe and £10 for a pair of crampons per day. These must be booked in advance, so please email Lorraine Brierley if you want to hire these items - email@example.com
*The instructor reserves the right to refuse to take anyone on the day who does not have the correct personal clothing and boots. No jeans please, and avoid cotton baselayers.
Terms & Conditions
The winter skills course run from December through to April.
In the event that there is a lack of snow or snow conditions are deteriorating, a course will continue with a mountaineering day. The day will provide the opportunity to experience a day in the mountains with our highly skilled and qualified Fell Top Assessor(s).
In the event of adverse weather our Fell Top Assessor(s) will make a decision on the day as to whether the event will proceed or an alternative be offered. Their decision is final.
There must be a minimum of 3 participants / maximum of 8 for the courses to run. All courses must be booked in advance.
Private party bookings can be accommodated on other dates. Please contact us for further details firstname.lastname@example.org