We are delighted to announce our new programme of day winter skills courses for walkers in the Lake District
An opportunity to spend a day on Helvellyn with Fell Top Assessor Graham Uney as he climbs to the summit of the mountain to take snow and weather readings for Lake District Weatherline. For each event Graham will guide you on a different route on the mountain, chosen according to snow and weather conditions and the ability of the group members, and will teach you the basic skills of snowcraft you need for safe winter walking in the fells and mountains of the UK. The day promises to be strenuous, informative, challenging, but also a lot of fun.
About the course
A Lake District taster day for anyone who wants to learn the basics of how to use an ice axe and crampons for winter walking. Lake District Fell Top Assessor, Graham Uney, will guide you through the basic techniques required for safe winter walking in the fells.
- Start point: 08.30am in Glenridding
- Postcode: / grid ref: CA11 0PD / NY385169
- Price: £80 adults only
- Length: 10-15km
- Duration: 8-9 hours
- Total ascent: 900m
- Highest point: 950m
- Grade: Strenuous
- A good level of fitness is required.
We provide all the technical gear for the day, but you are expected to have your own personal clothing and equipment. You will need*:
- Full waterproofs (including trousers and gaitors)
- Warm layers including a spare fleece/down jacket
- Woolly hat and gloves, ski goggles, head torch and spare batteries
- Rucksack, and winter walking boots (must be rated B1 or B2 to take crampons)
- Packed lunch including a hot drink and spare snacks
- You will also need an ice axe and crampons - we have a small stock that we hire out at the price of £10 for an ice axe and £10 for a pair of crampons per day - please let us know when booking if you need to hire these.
*The instructor reserves the right to refuse to take anyone on the day who does not have the correct personal clothing and boots. No jeans please, and avoid cotton baselayers.
For most of our courses it is Graham Uney himself who goes out as the lead instructor each day. Graham is the Fell Top Assessor on Helvellyn for Lake District Weatherline, so he knows the winter conditions out on the fells as well as anyone.
To read comments on our trips from recent clients, please visit Graham's Testimonials page.
Subject to snow conditions, we are taking bookings for 1-day courses on the following dates:
- 8 January 2016: 08.30am
- 9 January 2016: 08.30am
- 10 January 2016: 08.30am
- 22 January 2016: 08.30am
- 23 January 2016: 08.30am
- 24 January 2016: 08.30am
- 6 February 2016: 08.30am
- 7 February 2016: 08.30am
- 8 February 2016: 08:30am
- 19 February 2016: 08.30am
- 20 February 2016: 08.30am
- 21 February 2016: 08.30am
- 4 March 2016: 08.30am
- 5 March 2016: 08.30am
- 6 March 2016: 08.30am
- 19 March 2016: 08.30am
- 20 March 2016: 08.30am
- 25 March 2016: 08.30am
- 26 March 2016: 08.30am
- 27 March 2016: 08.30am
- 28 March 2016: 08.30am
If you would like further details about the course contact Graham Uney by email: email@example.com or call: 017683 42961
Disclaimer: Winter hillwalking is a potentially hazardous activity. Although all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the safety of people participating in the events listed, individuals do so at their own risk. Your instructor reserves the right to refuse to guide anyone who does not have appropriate clothing and footwear.