Guided Walk: Loughrigg Fell and Elterwater
© Steph Fulke
16 May 2020
This scenic walk takes us from Langdale valley to Loughrigg Fell by Loughrigg Tarn, with extensive views over the Langdales and Grasmere. Includes a Wainwright summit.
- Starts from: outside Britannia Inn, Elterwater at 10:00 am
- see start point descriptions here.
- Postcode: LA22 9HP
- Price: Adult £15, child free
- Length: 11.3 km, 7.0 miles
- Total ascent: 561 m (cumulative height from start point to finish point).
- Highest point: 335 m
- Duration: 6.0 hours
- Grade: Hard
- Grade description
A walk is graded based on a combination of length, duration, terrain, total ascent and highest point.Long and energetic walks in mountainous terrain of 8 – 15 km (5 – 10 miles). Some ascents and descents may be quite steep, possibly slippery or on loose rock. A good level of fitness is needed.
- Well behaved dogs on leads and guide dogs are welcome.
What to wear
- Footwear: On walks graded easy plus and above, you will encounter rocky, uneven and steep ground to varying degrees. The most suitable footwear for this type of terrain is a walking boot with ankle support and a deep tread.
- In exceptional circumstances, our leaders have the discretion to accept walkers with alternative footwear such as approach shoes. Decisions are based on the type and condition of footwear, experience of the walker, the route and the weather conditions.
- Certain types of footwear are never acceptable on walks graded easy plus and above, such as wellington boots, flip-flops and sandals.
- Waterproof trousers and a waterproof and windproof jacket, even in summer it can get cold on the higher fells.
- A warm top such as a fleece or jumper
- Hat, gloves and sun protection
- Enough food and drink for the type and duration of the activity
- Don't forget any personal medication
- Refunds will not apply if you are inappropriately dressed and equipped.
For more details check our list of what to wear and bring. There’s more information in our FAQs to help make the most of your time.
If we have to cancel a walk we will post a notice of cancellation on the listing.
Please, note terms and conditions apply.
Caring for our National Park
Our guided walks are delivered by dedicated, trained and committed volunteers.
Donating to the Lake District Foundation helps to care for the Lake District National Park.